Lakota Lutheran Church adopted its first constitution January 10, 1900. First members were C.N. Frich, S.L. Dahl, A.J. Gronna, Gilbert Jorgenson, O.G. Olson, John Peterson and Albert Thompson. Trustees of the church were A.J. Gronna, C.N. Frich and Gilbert Jorgenson. Ole G. Olson was elected secretary.
On February 7, 1900 Ole G. Olson was instructed to buy 4 lots of the northwest corner of Block 22. Not to exceed $200.00. This is the present site of the church. By May 5, 1901 $1,500.00 had been taken in on the building fund and the church was finished.
Up to this point, Lakota, Hoff and Center had constituted this parish, but in 1927 they proposed to Lakota, Michigan, Crary and Doyon. This did not seem to work out to the best advantage, so at a special meeting on May 9, 1930, at which District President David Stoeve presided, it was moved and seconded that the Lakota Lutheran Congregation accept plans for the proposed parish consisting of Hoff, Lakota, Vaage, Doyon and Crary, and including Fox Lake.
When the parish consisted of six congregations, Rev. Orlando Lee was pastor, with Rev. S. Gulsvif serving one year as intern.
During the year of 1946 discussion got underway to reduce the parish due to the heavy burden on the pastor and also the difficulty of serving some of the churches in the winter months. In November, 1946, the parish consisted of Lakota, Doyon and Crary.
The December 18, 1947 annual meeting gave women the right to vote in church affairs.
The congregation was incorporated in April of 1948 with the following declaration: "The legal name of this congregation shall be the Lakota Lutheran Church." The constitution was adopted at this time, also.
In 1945 a building fund was established for the purpose of building a new church.
A building committee was set up in January, 1954, with Einar Johnson as Chairman. Other members were R.E. Busche, Raymond Rutten, Art Estvold, Gerhart Anseth, John Tufte, O.J. Sundeen, Sr. and Ed Bjorge. They worked along with the Board of Trustees consisting of Marcus O. Rue, President of the Church; O.K. Anderson, Milton Wagness, Arvid Munson and Ed Nelson.
In June of 1954 it was decided to have a Loyalty Dinner to have the experience of meeting together to think, to talk and to pray about our Proposed Building Fund. The youth and children below high school age met at the church and adult members of the family at the Lakota High School.
Arrangements were made with the Wells Organization to assist in the Building Fund Canvass. Final plans for the new church were adopted on September 4, 1956. Ground breaking for the new church was held April 14, 1957. Rev. M.A. Olson was pastor at the time. Volunteers hauled bricks from Hebron, ND and a major part of painting the interior of the church was done by the men of the congregation. The construction of the kitchen cabinets was donated by Arvid Benson.
On Sunday, August 4, 1957, Rev. David Genter, performed the Cornerstone Ceremony.
The last service in the old church was held May 18, 1958, following by a processional to the new church.
The old church building was purchased by St. Catherine's Altar Society of Lomice, and was moved July 1, 1958 to the Lomice church site.
Dedication Sunday was October 26, 1958, with Pastors David Genter and M.A. Olson officiating at the morning service. The banquet at noon was followed by a program and 1:00 p.m. R.E. Busche was master of ceremonies.
A gift in memory of Dr. J.A.D. Engesather was given to the stained glass window fund in 1967. Other gifts and donations were added to this fund until the spring of 1975 when plans were made to beautify the church by installing these windows before the 75th Anniversary.
August 16, 1987 was the last sermon at Lakota Lutheran for Pastor Ness. He pastored for 20 years.
Pastor Roger Johnson and his family joined the church December of 1987.
Pastor Joel Westby and his family joined the church in 2002 and left in 2009.
Pastor Reuben Schnaidt led Lakota Lutheran until Pastor Peter and Becky Horn were called to serve.